1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Hamilton
  4. »Crops and Livestock
  5. »Pesticides
  6. »Chemigation

Hamilton County


Chemigation is the application of pesticides, fertilizers, or effluent by blending with fresh water through an irrigation system.

Chemigation User's Permit

A chemigation User's Permit must be obtained before chemigating. The permit is valid for one year, expiring on December 31. Renewal materials are mailed annually in December. To receive a Chemigation Equipment operator (CEO) or employ at least one individual currently certified as a Chemigation Equipment Operator.

Chemigation Equipment Operator

A Chemigation Equipment Operator (CEO) is an individual who has successfully complete the open book examination. The Kansas Chemigation Safety Law requires a Chemigation's User's Permit not be issued to any person unless that person is a certified CEO, or has in his or her employ at least one certified CEO. No individual shall supervise more than ten operating chemigation units at one time.

The pesticide applicator training/certification program and the chemigation certification program are totally separate requirements. Being a certified pesticide applicator does not exempt a producer who plans to chemigate from the obligation to be certified as a Chemigation Equipment Operator. Similarly, the certification as a Chemigation Equipment Operator does not exempt a producer who plans to use "Restricted" pesticides from the need to complete a pesticide applicator training program.

Click the following link for the Kansas Department of Agriculture's Application for Chemigation Equipment Operator Certification (CSL-30). Click on this link for the Certified Chemigation Equipment Operator Examination Manual (CSL-31A).

The examination and related materials are available via the Kansas Department of Agriculture or the Ford County Extension Office. An applicant for certified chemigation equipment operator is required to correctly answer at 75% of the exam questions to pass the examination.

A certificate and pocket card will be issued to each certified person upon his or her satisfactory completion of the requirements for certification. The certified chemigation equipment operator must produce the certificate or the pocket card, when requested to do by any law enforcement official, the Kansas Secretary of Agriculture or any of the Secretary's authorized representatives.

Record Keeping

Each person using the chemigation process must keep records regarding each application of any chemical other than water or animal waste. The records must contain the following information:

  • The type of chemical used.
  • The amount of active ingredient used.
  • The date of use.
  • The legal description of the location of the water supply or the point of water diversion.
  • The total number of acres treated by means of chemigation.
  • The type of crop to which the chemical was applied. And, in the case of pesticides:
    • The EPA registration number of each pesticide applied.
    • The common name of the targeted pest or pests (example: Southwestern cornborer, grassy weeds, etc.)

Persons who apply only animal wastes must keep records each application of animal waste through the irrigation system. The records must contain the following information:

  • The date of use.
  • The legal description of the location of the water supply or the point of diversion.

Records required under this section are retained by the holder of the chemigation user's permit for a period of not less than two years from the date of application.