1. K-State home
  2. »Research and Extension
  3. »Hamilton
  4. »Crops and Livestock
  5. »Pesticides
  6. »faq

Hamilton County

Where can I obtain study manuals?

The Hamilton County Extension Office has copies of the various manuals for sale (prices may vary by category). Study manuals are also available from the KSU Distribution Center at (785)532-5830 or can be downloaded from the Pesticide Safety and IPM website.

Where do I find out where and when I can take the exam?

Private Pesticide Exams are available through the Hamilton County Extension Office. The open-book test is offered Monday-Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and from 1:00 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. All first time exams and lapsed renewal exams must be taken in the Extension Office. Exam takers must bring a photo ID (i.e. drivers license) and a check for $25 (made out to the Kansas Department of Ag).

Commercial Pesticide Exams
The Commercial Pesticide Exam schedule is available at the Pesticide Safety and IPM website under the pesticide safety education tab and then the commercial applicator link or you can find it at the Kansas Department of Agriculture (KDA) website, then click on pesticide and fertilizer program then select pesticide applicator and click on commercial applicator and the exam schedule link it listed on this page.

How long does it usually take to get the Private Applicators License from KDA?

It depends upon the time of year, but you should expect to receive it in less than 2 week.

Do I need a Business License?

A pesticide business who advertise, offers for sale, sells or performs any service for the control of a pest or applies pesticide on the property of another for compensation are required to obtain a Kansas Pesticide Business License. Exemptions exist for any person or their employee who applies pesticides on or at premises they own, lease or operate, veterinarians or physicians making pesticide applications as part of their professional business and government agencies.

To obtain a business license, a person must submit a completed and signed pesticide business license application with proof of financial responsibility in the form of a surety bond, certificate of liability insurance, letter of credit or escrow account. The owner or one or more employees of the business must be a certified commercial applicator in each category for which the license application is made. The costs associated with a business license are $140 per category listed, $15 per uncertified individual employed to apply pesticides and $40 per registered technician. The application form, proof of financial liability, and correct fees should be mailed to the Kansas Department of Agriculture, Records Center-Pesticide, 109 SW 9th Street, Topeka, KS 66612.

How do I renew my Business License?

The pesticide business license may be renewed by meeting the same requirements as for a new license. Renewal materials are mailed to licensees by the Kansas Department of Agriculture.

What is considered supervision of an uncertified applicator?

The certified applicator must provide the uncertified applicator with detailed instructions in the handling and application of the pesticide being used, as well as be available to be uncertified applicator by telephone, two-way radio, or other comparable means of communication when the pesticide is being applied. The certified applicator shall be physically present if required by the label. Both the certified and uncertified applicator must be stationed at and work from the same business address. The certified applicator shall verify that the requirements of this regulation were met when requested by the secretary or the secretary's authorized representative.